Best Educational Blog

My site was nominated for Best Education Blog!

Monday, February 16, 2009

Are we in a recession?


Yes, it's President's Day! Another day for ongoing get it while it's hot sales.

Our loving son decided to spend the weekend at the grandparent's house. He's having fun while we are spending quality time with one another. My husband and I decided to go out for breakfast. Can you believe the wait was over thirty minutes? Yes, we stayed. I didn't want to go back home and try to decide what to cook. It was nice to have someone cook for the both of us for a change.

Every store and restaurant was packed.

I know today is a great day to catch sale items, but let's not forget we are in a 'recession'. I had to control myself from buying an item or two from the department store we visited after breakfast. The conversation in my mind went like this.

Bahiyah: You have no leisure clothes. Your closet only consist of suits and button down tops.

Self: I know, but you will regret it in the morning. Try to work with what you have.

Bahiyah: I work really hard and I don't see anything wrong with catching a sale.

Self: The sale is nice, but what about the remorse of spending outside your budget?

Bahiyah: I guess you do have a point. My closet doesn't only consist of conservative clothing. I can wait until I build up my clothing allowance.

Self: I'm so proud of you. Remember, emotional shopping can be hazardous to your health and finances.

Of course, at that point I was only window shopping. If everything else could be so simple!

Be inspired,
Bahiyah Shabazz

2 comments:

UrbanPer$pectiV BLOG : said...

Agree with your last sentence about "emotional" shopping.
My friends used to laugh at me when we were out in the stores, and I would say out loud... "Do I really NEED that item)
Every once in a blue moon (which is almost never LOL) I'll "splurge" on some item or something I want. And this is usually after I've waited to see if that item has come down in price over a course of time.

Bahiyah S. said...

I believe if we all stop emotionally spending then the economy would be in a different state. Just think about the credit crisis. Most people charge whatever they need. I say if you can't pay cash then don't get it. The worst emotions you can feel are guilt and shame.