Best Educational Blog

My site was nominated for Best Education Blog!

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Financial Divorce






Have you and your partner resulted to separate accounts?


I pose this question not to ponder about your intimate relationship, but your financial status. You may share the same bed and love each other dearly, but for some reason you can't agree on the finances and how it is allocated.


This conscious financial divorce stems from not being able to agree on how to control the funds in the household. I know there are times when one partner would love to purchase an item or two, but have to get 'permission' to do so. To have separate accounts means that you are in total control of your funds. You earn the money and you spend it as you truly desire.


By all means take care of home first.


I don't have an opinion either way how you and your partner want to handle the household accounts. That decision is truly based on the couple. I only encourage you take care of the monthly obligations before you have fun with your money.


More than often the financial divorce occurs because a partner neglected the other person's feelings and didn't disclose dipping into the accounts. To trust someone to share an account with you is just as important as deciding to share your bed with a partner. The accounts connect the two of you as one as in any other category of a relationship.


You each are affected by both good and bad decisions. I can't express enough the importance of discussing your financial expectations with each other before becoming seriously involved. Neglecting to do so can possibly result in a financial divorce.




Be inspired,
Bahiyah Shabazz

No comments: