Best Educational Blog

My site was nominated for Best Education Blog!

Thursday, August 13, 2009

creatures of habit

I didn't realize how quickly the summer flew by. Next week my son is starting the third grade. He's very excited, but concerned about squeezing in our last summer family vacation. I decided to compare deals between Wisconsin Dells and Key Lime Cove.

During this entire process I involved my son. We looked at the activities, lodging, and food. He was able to compare apples to apples and not dwell on his emotions.

He was overwhelmed with Wisconsin Dells because of the numerous waterparks. He later learned that you have to pay for each individual park. Of course the cost of fun was slowly adding up as he expressed disappointment.

As parents, it is our responsibility to teach our children the fundamentals of life. We discuss various subjects in the school curriculum including math. However, we don't go one step further to explain how to budget, address behavioral habits of shopping and compare prices.

He was able to make a decision as I agreed with Key Lime Cove. The hotel room is great and has all the amenities we want. The price also includes passes to the waterpark. Everything is inside the resort and we don't have to walk throughout the attractions to find restaurants to appease out taste buds.

The family is looking forward to spending time at the waterpark resort. More importantly, our son feels involved in making the decision during the entire process.

In order for your children to be financially responsible it must start at home.

Be inspired,
Bahiyah Shabazz

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shabazz u are doing a good job.Allfamilies should invoveltheir children.show them how to manage their money.

UrbanPer$pectiV BLOG : said...

Great concept, involving the younger ones in FAMILY plannings. Never would have thought of that

Bahiyah S. said...

It's easy to present "do as I say, not as I do". If our children see the consistency with words and actions it will truly have a lasting positive impact.