Best Educational Blog

My site was nominated for Best Education Blog!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First day of school

Today was the 1st day of school and I couldn't help but notice how big my son is getting. He's making important decisions for himself.

* What to eat for breakfast
* Which clothes and shoes to wear
* Which materials to put inside his backpack
* What to take for lunch

I don't think he needs me and he's only eight. He was more prepared for the 1st day of school than I was. I must say that this year I strategically shopped for clothes and shoes, but I didn't buy any school supplies.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen. You heard me. My son spend the first day of school without new school supplies. In addition, I didn't let him wear any new clothes.

I know...bad mommy.

Let's go back to the school supplies. Each year I grab the list at Walmart and Office Depot and purchase each item that's grade appropriate. Upon the first day of school I realize that his teacher has created her own list.

See. Now I have to return to the store and purchase the items from her list. Since I try to be extremely prepared I purchase the original items so far in advance that I "lose" the receipt. I can't return or exchange the items.

Do you see my dilemma? I am throwing money away.

My son didn't mind not wearing any new outfits today. He was actually happy. Once everyone else "new clothes" wear out he can then present himself like a shining star.

The morale of the story is mom learned a valuable lesson. I will continue to wait until the 1st day of school to go shopping supplies.

Be inspired,
Bahiyah Shabazz

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl I had already made up my mind my kids weren't going back to school in new clothes. First off it's gonna be hot so wear your shorts. They didn't get new bookbags cause there's nothing wrong with the ones they had last year. They got new sneakers an that's it. Labor Day offers all kinds of sales so I'll wait til then to do my clothes shopping. Paper, pens and pencils and trapper keepers were school supplies and I got as much as I could with the Staples 1cent sale. Just call me Bargain Betty.

Bahiyah S. said...

'Bargain Betty' you are truly saving by spending wisely and strategically. A new yr doesn't always have to mean a new attire. LOL!

UrbanPer$pectiV BLOG : said...

HA! itsmrscooper will tell you that when we grew up, we rarely got new clothes. And "new" often meant "old" hand me downs... so imagine that dilemna. LOL! You're doing a great job saving on back to school supplies