Best Educational Blog

My site was nominated for Best Education Blog!

Monday, March 2, 2009

Mad Mondays

Why do I continue to let Mondays dictate my life?
Every week I know it's coming. Some Mondays are better than others. There are times when I am pleasantly surprised to get through the day without any regards to the nonsense that goes on. I truly believe people use Mondays as an excuse to act ridiculous and insensitive. Not to mention the media prints everything that happens from the weekend.
Kids ask the darnest things.
As I mentioned Friday was my son's birthday. He is a mature eight and ask all the pertinent questions.
  • Why was I an egg before I was a boy?
  • Am I the only child because I am special?
  • Why does the moon follow you everywhere you go?
  • Why is President Obama the first black American president?
  • Why did James Ray kill Martin Luther King?
  • Did Chris Brown really hit Rhianna?

My response to each question: What? Are you serious? As a parent I need to address all the issues, however, I took the easiest one first.

Me: How do you know about Chris and Rhianna?

Son: Everyone's talking about it in class?

Me: Son, I don't know the details but the media said he did strike her.

Son: I thought you aren't suppose to hit a woman.

Me: You're not!

Son: I don't like Chris Brown anymore.

I have learned from Media Monday that the couple is back together. Why must women (young and old) continue to subject themselves to subject abuse. You have to love and accept who you are. This starts by not allowing anyone to degrade your character, goals, and self. I am familiar with Batter Women's Syndrome. It is alive and prevalent in each community. It's time to stand up for yourself and believe that you are worth more than allowing someone to hurt you physically and/or verbally and not take them back.

This Monday I am mad for all the women who fight for their actions and freedom to continuously be abused daily. This Monday I am mad that I have to explain that another woman accepted jewelry, flowers, and an apology from her abuser. This Monday I am mad that I have to encounter another Blue Monday.

Be inspired,
Bahiyah Shabazz

2 comments:

UrbanPer$pectiV BLOG : said...

My sister just posted an inspiring BlOG to maybe help an abused woman.
Mondays can be rough sometimes, but my hope is that as the week progesses, things will sort of settle down for you :)

Bahiyah S. said...

I noticed 'Hanging with Mrs.Cooper' and others posted about this situation. It's sad when a young couple is ostracized in the media for their behavior and actions. I hope when Rhianna makes the right decision it's not too late.

My week will get better. It's like a roller coaster and I have to vent every now and again. But I love all the excitement.