Best Educational Blog

My site was nominated for Best Education Blog!

Monday, June 29, 2009

Money Mondays




Family is extremely important. Unfortunately, many are putting quality family time on the back burner to take care of financial obligations.

Today, I took my son and two nephews out for fun. I had to decide what would capture the attention of a 15, 10 and 8 year old. I also wanted to work on a budget since I too count my pennies. No one said having fun had to be expensive. Besides the boys didn't care because they were able to get out the house AND spend time with me.

After much research I decided to take them bowling (the skating rink is closed on Mondays). It seems that on Mondays children are half price. Can you believe I rented shoes and indulged in two games for less than $2 each. Yes, $2 each. I strongly advice everyone to research fun things for the family to engage in for the summer that won't break the bank.

Tomorrow we are going to Brookfield Zoo in Illinois because this Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are free. All I have to pay for is parking. An average admission is ~$24. Let's not forget souvenirs and snacks. That's a phenomenon savings.

For dinner I took them to Red Robin where the wait is nothing, the environment is smoke free and the dinner is cheap. I fed a family of four for less than $30.

This Money Monday was a penny saver. The best of all everyone had a great time. At the end of the day I came home with change. I'm loving it!


Log on to your city attractions, restaurants and fun events to regard what is free or discounted for the summer. You will be amazed with all you can do with the family on a feasible budget.


Be inspired,
Bahiyah Shabazz

No comments: