Best Educational Blog

My site was nominated for Best Education Blog!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

For a worthy cause












Nine years ago, my husband and I were blessed with a beautiful boy. We couldn't wait for the day to arrive when we were able to welcome him into the world. To our surprise, he was ready to come quicker than we expected.

Our son was born at exactly 20 weeks. He weighed in at a remarkable 1lb 6oz. We were excited to hear his first cry especially since I was bed ridden for 6 weeks. Can you imagine your water breaking at 3 1/2 months? Many can't fathom what to expect during that time.

Our faith and perseverance brought us through the situation together. We were hopeful in spite of what may specialists told us. According to each of them he would either be blind, deaf and/or have cerebral palsy. Of course, my husband and I were frightened, but we weren't going to give up on our miracle baby.

Each family is tested by its faith and we were definitely putting our faith in God. After birth he was hospitalized for 4 months and since he's only had one severe scare. Yes, he stopped breathing and I had to administer CPR after having him home for only 2 weeks. It was extremely frightening, but I brought him back to life. The doctors stated if I hadn't reacted as quickly we would have lost him.

Today, he's an active, athletic, charismatic child. He play soccer, basketball and swims. He has received awards in school for being a leader amongst his peers.

Since his birth we have been participating in the March of Dimes walk. The organization was instrumental in his survival during his hospital stay. We are fortunate for the concerned doctors, nurses and loving organization.

He understands that it's equally important to help premature babies be as successful as he is today. Our son is an active participant and enjoys walking with me during the event. It's been 9 years since we've been blessed with our only child and it has been a journey. I can't imagine life without him.

I look forward to walking again next year in April. He will be by my side as usual. When people ask what's his name I reply with a smile. It's Jameel Mikal, which stands for handsome angel.


Be inspired,
Bahiyah Shabazz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you just can't listen to Dr's. When our son was diagnosed there was a list of stuff he wasn't supposed t be able to do. He's doing them all.

So glad to see that your son is strong and healthy. Happy Birthday to him.

Bahiyah S. said...

Sometimes the doctors aren't always right. You have to follow your heart and listen to your inner voice. It won't lead you wrong.

Glad to hear your son prevailed in spite of what specialists said.