
I came across an intelligent, well dressed woman yesterday. I discussed in detail what I do for a living and how I love to educate others. She then began to discuss how she's a sucka for a sale. She smiled and stated "I can't help it, my entire family loves to shop". To my dismay, she justified her behavior because she spends less than her relatives.
Just because you say "I'm sorry" after slapping someone in the face doesn't make it right. [ponder on that]
She went on to state she needed a pair of boots. Did she need or want the boots? After everything was said and done she had more bags than she could carry. After all the shopping she was exhausted and sat in the food court to eat. While she was enjoying her food she noticed there were homeless people asking for money and food to eat. She sighed, looked at me and said she knew she was blessed.
I was waiting for the humble moment. It never came because she continued to brag about her work wardrobe, church wardrobe and play wardrobe. What happened to her reflection about the homeless people?

However, I was very pleased to know she doesn't have credit card debt. Everything is paid for with cash via debit card. I asked her about her emergency fund and retirement accounts. She said that she does have funds, but if something major happened [broken appliance or furnace] it would wipe her out.
After giving her a hypothetical about the amount of money she could accumulate from the money spend while shopping she was amazed. She never thought of the actual money spend.
She is depriving herself of early retirement or the peace of mind of available funds. The first step she needs to identify her behaviors. Why is there a need to shop? How does it make you feel while engaging? How would you feel to know you might have to work during retirement when you could have properly saved?
Embrace who you are and not what you think others expect you to be. There is an underlining emotion why she has to shop. No one actually knows how much clothing she has. The question is...Who is this person actually trying to impress?
Be inspired,
Bahiyah Shabazz




No comments:
Post a Comment